Thursday, October 29, 2009

Learning to appreciate

There's this time when I'm on a super crowded bus with my colleagues. We were all back-to-back with someone else, trying to hold our breath. Then, I caught G gigling. I asked why and his eyes glanced to the XXXXL size Indian lady, the G started speaking in Mandarin, "I dont want you to become like her one day lor... really using quite a lot of space... fat people shouldnt take bus." That sparked me a little, and I thought I really should not keep putting on weight and "become like that". After we got down the bus, G explained that he watched a documentary once. It was telling that fat people consumed too much of the world's resources and that if there were no fat people, the world would have saved 1/3 of its resources. I dont know how true, but that makes sense. We figured that because fat people eat more food, use more soap and shampoo, takes up more air and use more materials even in their clothes. From then on, when I feel like eating a little more, i try to think of my conversation with G. It helps.

Today, i noticed a tear on my brand new shirt tunic from BYSI Sale. I remembered I checked twice before payment. How could it have been torn, unless by me. I'm irritated. Must be torn by my usual rough actions of pulling out my clothes from an overwhelmingly packed wardrobe. It must have been caught in a hanger... the sharp end of some of the lousy hangers. I hate those. On the other hand, this sparked a realisation of myself. A realisation that - I usually take things for granted - until too late. I destroyed things and thought the things spoil then just replace. I did that for relationships as well, to loved ones, to friends. Only at this age, then I start to learn... well, better late then never.

Leo Fernandez gave me a very useful book about Relationships. I havent finished the read but it tells that

(1) relationships are fragile and we must be sensitive handling it,
(2) money is just a figure and it's really what you do with it that adds value to your life,
(3) be of service to people. serve people. it shows you care.

Good reads really open up new prespectives and learning from them, adds great value to my life.
Oh yes, with all these enlightenments, I am learning to appreciate my loved ones, my friends and colleagues, my things, my clothes - and not let anger get the better of me.

I thank my ah mi tou fou and my lucky stars for knocking senses into me thru' pleasant ways...

No comments:

Post a Comment